7.1.11

Frock&Roll Vintage gem - Q&A with Owner and founder


Happy that I had finally discovered a vintage gem in Reading, (my hometown) I immediately headed on over to the gorgeous Frock&Roll boutique on Watlington Street, (just opposite the Royal Berks Hospital). I was also lucky enough to be able to catch up with the ever so lovely owner and founder, Ali Redfern, who was able to fill me in on the details of how she came to open her dream shop...  



I understand Frock&Roll opened it’s doors in July of this year, what made you choose Reading as a location for your boutique?






I chose Reading because I felt there is not that much in the area of a vintage nature, so there was a natural gap in the market.  Also, Reading is my home town so I had lots of support from friends in starting my venture.

Left: Founder and Owner Ali and friend Claire.


What was the inspiration behind Frock&Roll?

I had been thinking about starting the business for a good few years.  I had always worked for large companies and wanted the challenge of working for myself.  As I was passionate about vintage clothing and liked working with people I felt Frock&Roll would combine my skills.


Where did the name Frock&Roll come from?






I had thought of various ideas vintage and came up with a list of names. Frock&Roll was one of them and the web domain frockandroll.com was also available.  I asked quite a few people and they liked it, so I just plumped for it.

What is your own personal definition of vintage?






Personally, I would say vintage is over 20 years old, so 1980’s and before.  Any clothing over 80 years old could also be classed as Antique, in my opinion.

When did your love of vintage first develop?






Oooo…. years ago.  I always loved charity shop shopping when I was younger and my mum had dresses from the 50’s that I loved. As well as vintage I like one off’s and hand-made items, I think I have always veered towards that since I started buying clothes from a teenager. 

How would you describe the Frock&Roll customer?






It really varies, from 15 to… well, customers in their 70’s & 80’s.  I have had older ladies in buying dresses to go on cruises.  I get a many younger students in though, but also customers of any age that are looking for something a bit different or for a special occasion.

Are there any particular eras that are more popular than others?






Again it depends on the individual.. 1950’s dresses are always very popular particularly as they have a great shape and are very glamorous.  You then get other customers that are very much into the Mod look of the 1960’s. Also a lot younger people love the 80’s style..as unlike me they didn’t live it first time round!  

What are your plans for the future of Frock&Roll? Will you sell online? Attend vintage fairs?

For the moment I am trying to see how trading goes in the first year and don’t want to diversify too much.  

I have done a few events so far, one at Reading Uni and a charity event at Peppard Common. Hopefully, I will do more in the future but as it’s just me at the moment I want to concentrate mainly on the shop.
  
Do you think that vintage has a future? And if so, where do you see it going?






I think at the moment there is quite a big resurgence to do with vintage because it is very ethical, it is also very individual.  There is a lot of press with celebrities wearing vintage which is great. Unlike new clothes there is only a limited supply of vintage, so at some point it will have to change a bit and I think reworked clothing will be seen more, also we will see more 90’s fashion resurfacing. Vintage, charity and thrift shops have been around for years, because people love it..so there will always be a market.

Have you noticed people in your store picking out key trend pieces?






Particularly jumpers – the Icelandic type 80’s jumpers and also Faux Fur Coats

Customers can find pieces that are currently en-vogue but with a twist.  The pieces will be unique and have a piece of history attached to them.

  
What items sell well?


Accessories (bags, brooches, scarves etc) always sell well as they do not need to fit the customer’s measurements.
  
Can your recommend a key places to visit for vintage? Home or abroad…
  





As a shopper – Student/Uni towns are always good; I like Leeds, Bristol, Brighton and London.  I guess, London has the greatest selection with Portobello Road, Brick Lane, Camden and also lots of individual shops scattered around.  I recently came across a lovely little vintage shop in Crystal Palace that was just open weekends and situated in part of a pub – particularly good I your partner isn’t such an avid shopper as you. 
  
How would you describe your own personal style?







Eclectic probably, I’m not into one particular era.  It depends what mood I am in I guess, sometimes I will get really dressed up in a 50’s cocktail dress, other times I like a more casual look of jeans and a 80’s knit. I own a lot of vintage clothing, however sometimes when I am at home I will just want to wear a rubbishy old PJ’s and a t-shirt. It can be embarrassing if I just pop out to the shops and haven’t made an effort…I think oh no if someone sees me and I knows I work in shop…that’s when you know you’ll always bump into someone.

Would you say you mix your vintage pieces with highstreet…?

I look everywhere for my clothes, vintage shops, high street, charity..I like to mix and match.


Which are your personal favourite shops and areas to buy your own clothes. Any good local fairs, shops?






It is really hard to say as I never go to just one place, I will look anywhere and everywhere. Topshop is always quite good for being innovative in high street fashion– but can sometimes be a little pricey. There’s a great shop in Notting Hill by the station, which I can’t remember now what it’s called..Retro something… It does both vintage & second-hand clothes.  You need to have time to have a good rummage though as there is a mix of good & bad.  On some occasions I have found a gem of an item for only a few pounds. 

What is your Favourite?
Film: Rocky Horror Picture Show. I was in a charity show of this when I was 17 and absolutely love watching this film; I can never tire of seeing this.
Book: Milan Kendra’s The Joke.
I like books that are either biographical or are poignant and make you think about life in a different way.
Music There's not much I don't like, but I have always been an Indie girl at heart.


Any tips, quotes or advice you believe in or live by?






Always be yourself..and Good manners cost nothing!  Rudeness is my pet hate.

Ali has some Amazing accessories: I even purchased a petite across the shoulder carpet bag, a checked silk scarf and some vintage bobby pins which can just be seen below. 





Where to find Frock and Roll? 
If you haven't visited this amazing treasure trove of a shop yet, make sure you do... 


Frock&Roll





        www.frockandroll.com - 111 Watlington Street, Reading, West Berkshire - 07800 022 359
        Opening hours Wed 10am - 6pm, Thurs & Fri 10am - 7pm, Sat 9am-7pm & Sun 11am- 5pm

All photography by myself. apart from the portrait shot of Ali and Claire which is via Get Reading.  

2 comments:

  1. I do believe I shall be off to their tomorrow! Lived in reading for a few years and only just discovered it's existance last year and still havent been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caz, yes I def recommend to pop by and have a look, have found some great pieces in there x x

    ReplyDelete

Love to know what your thinking..... Every comment is muchly appreciated x