22.10.10

Future Beauty: 30 Years of Japanese Fashion


Future Beauty: 30 Years of Japanese Fashion


15 October 2010 - 6 February 2011
Barbican Art Gallery


So after a hectic day I embarked on far more hectic journey over to the Barbican, trying to catch the Gallery talk with Amy de la Haye,  I thought it would be extremely insightful view with her background prediomantely in curration and as a knowledgeable fashion historian. Unfortunately the bus was having none of it and I was running behind time.  

So me and my friend headed up to the 'beauty party' which was in the exhibition. Busy, but not so much a party per-say, and was abit disappointing to say the least. Billed as 'an extravagant evening. Get your nails painted by Wah Nails, see a demonstration by internationally renowned make-up artist Alex Box, talk style with the Telegraph’s Kate Shapland, listen to music by DJs The Broken Hearts and be photographed wearing one of cult hairdresser Charlie Le Mindu’s phenomenal hair sculptures' so let's go through this... and this is no reflection on those who did have a good night and did manage to experience these all, but my own percpection and what I came across on the night:   
  
 1. Wah Nails 


Yes most definitely there!... well three technicians at least. Stuck in the obscure dark room, ques of people waiting yet no spaces. Cannot say I am surprised, must of had to get there super early to get a slot, however huddles of people left waiting oblivious to the fact that they are never going to be seen. Although technically interesting to watch, slightly deflating not being able to get my own nails pampered. 


2. Alex Box

The possibility of being able to witness a master class with creative director of Illamasqua Alex Box was an exciting prospect, however maybe I was too late/early I am not sure, but I never did see 'The' Alex Box although there were two make-artists at the event doing mini-make-overs using Illamasqua products. Again interesting to watch and the guy was lovely explaining to the crowd about the products... yet again it has to be another thumbs down on that one. 

3. Kate Shapland 
Unfortunately never saw Kate, not to say she was not there mind you. She well could of been, may of missed her like the others and what not, but yes yet again a slight turn down, however I did think I was sitting behind the legendary Judy Blame in the video presentation. So was a bit in awe, showing my friend on google images who I was on about as she didn't have the foggiest. 


4. Charlie le Mindu 

So this one is my own fault for the disappointment as I thought Monsieur le Mindu would actually be there... no such luck I am afraid and this did exactly what it said on the tin. A ceiling suspended headpiece, so you were able to try on his creation yourself and take a few snaps (about the only section you was allowed to). 

5. Broken Hearts 
Um yes, can't even remember that one! 

So far this does sound like an awfully negative post however I think my expectations may exceed such exhibitions and events sometimes, all sounded far too good to all actually be true... surely? 

I cannot take away from the masters and genius works of Japanese fashion world from Issey Miyake to new generation designers Akira Naka, the garments and constructions are breathtaking. Ingenious in designs, subverting conventions for example the flat pack garments, which create a beautiful origami design when laid out flat. 

Apologies for some of the fuzzy phone photo's, I did get "told off" on several occasions for using a camera, as photography is not allowed in this exhibition which was a shame. I really rejoice at those that allow you as it is nice to document and have references of your visit, as you pick up the pack of overpriced postcards like I do and the pieces you really wish are included often not, that said I did just that and you can see the selection here.    

Like I said this is all a matter of personal opinion and I think due to the busy nature of the event, not being able to spend time viewing the collection, sketching etc... does somewhat cloud my judgements of it all. I do highly regard the Barbican as a stand out venue for the arts in all areas and often really enjoy my visits there, however this exhibition for me felt it lacked heart. Since entering the world of  Margiela back in summer, I have remerged with a completely different view, that all exhibitions should now embrace this quality, hands own with experiential nature with the whole space converted. Thus however cannot be the case and I must recognise the positive curation and layout techniques used in such a large space as that of the barbican. Huge muslim sheets hanging from the ceiling sectioning off areas was a nice touch and added a new dimension to the space.    
Overall like I said maybe on another day at another time my views would be different but as it has it, I can't say I was not that overly enthralled with this latest Barbican offering, if you could not tell already... 


Intricate 3D invitation designs. 


However not to leave on a sour note, One quote that resonated with me, and I will leave you with this thought:

'I know. It's Just fabric. But it speaks to us like a world. if it were a desert and you a traveller, you would talk about its winds, it's stars, it's sun. you probably will.' 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to know what your thinking..... Every comment is muchly appreciated x