5.1.10

@StellaMagazine RT Who knew you can watch the entire series of 'Fashion House' on 4oD... see Gareth Pugh before the fame


This is why I love Twitter! Although a highly addictive ‘social networking site’ which fills my time with pointless 140 character messages of nothing-ness it does sometimes however unearth some great gems, and Thanks to Stella Magazine this tweet was one of them!

StellaMagazine Who knew you can watch the entire series of 'Fashion House' on 4oD... see Gareth Pugh before the fame http://bit.ly/4GqZrb

And to my delight here was my reply…

@StellaMagazine RT 'Fashion House', yay! whenever I mention it people never seem to remember it. All i can say is that Bikini!

Fashion House was the ‘original project catwalk’, and whoah does it brings back memories! Firstly how I religiously used to watch every episode each weekend on T4 secondly being how it funnily got me initially intrigued and determined to follow that ‘passion for fashion’ and aim to study it at university. All I remember thinking is wow those people have an amazing opportunity and one day I want to be there in that position!

And an impact it did make on little me and I managed to dig out this piece of work I did while I was at school! This explains my remembrance of the Monogram-tastic bikini in the final episode by builder/fashion graduate Lee.

Apologies for the picture quality found it in my sketchbook as the fickle web had no images to be found of Fashion House anymore

sketchbooks collecting dust- belive it or not there is so much more!

Its enjoyable looking through old pieces of work, if like me you have stacks of it! Nice to see there is an actual development and progression happening throughout the years! And this piece is so cringe worthy, it made me chuckle at the naivety of my fashion knowledge back then, hence the major plastering of luxury brands all over this. If I member correctly this was only for my mock exam and therefore didn’t count, luckily!

Fashion house, when you watch back now seems so dated and I remember rushing in to school ready to have a good old gossip about the latest episode however I must have been alone as no-one I spoke to ever watched it! Which is like what happened while I was following my aspiring dream of fashion design stardom at Central Saint Martins I bumped into Lecturer David Kappo (the eccentric product manager in Fashion House), must admit I was a bit of a star-struck teenager, living outside of London you never bump into anyone who appears on TV!! Well no-one on the course knew what the hell I was on about when I was telling them our lecturer is on the show, too embarrassed and slightly worried I would scream out ‘OMG I love you on Fashion House’ I rightly decided to not ask him about it however was overwhelmed with joy when he told me he liked my design on the mannequin which I was getting pictured with. Alas he never saw the pining at the back holding it together and this was also the end of my designer hopes when I realized I’m hopeless at sewing!!

(If you don’t want me to plot spoil look away now) The stand out moments which I can recollect of Fashion House are how adorable Pippa was especially when David and her skipped down Rome’s pebbled streets and Gareth’s amazingly wacky and conceptual body stockings and massive bauble attire. It’s unfortunate to think that he never won the competition (they saw his designs as being to Avant-Garde) but he has now successfully made it in his own right. According to the ever reliable Wiki-P Pugh apparently referred to his stint on the show as "horrible" and his "only other option [to being on] the dole" .To be fair a year contract at Stella McCartney would of only held his creative flair back and thankfully now he is the shining star of British design talent!

I apologise this has been my first post in a while now but I felt Christmas was a time for a well-deserved rest and as I have been told by tutors enjoy this one while you can as when you get into year 3 you will not have one.

This is not to say I have not been working behind the scenes so to speak and have a few posts racked up ready to publish soon. X

1 comment:

  1. wow, I vaguely remember fashion house. Some of those designs are awful, but wouldn't it be great if they brought it back (I need a replacement for project catalk)? I still see the mixed race guy with the super curly hair around my area. I would also love it if they brought back model behaviour.

    ReplyDelete

Love to know what your thinking..... Every comment is muchly appreciated x